Monday, March 21, 2011
Just Wondering?????
I know that the economy is in the pits and that the state is in a really bad fiscal crisis but I find myself wondering how could it get this bad? I saw the segment on the news tonight entitled "Your Turn" a man commented on the story about Watertown Schools and the layoffs that are eminent. He said "The teachers need to make concessions...." WHAT???? Are we not making concessions as it is? We spend hours upon hours away from our families planning for our students. We spend our hard earned money on the kids in our classrooms....The other day I took 15 minutes from my lunch 1/2 hour (we do not get a LUNCH hour we get a 1/2 hour!) and drove to the store to buy cupcakes for a student in my class that has not a whole lot at home for his birthday. My money that I earned (which I would do for any of my kids).....would that man be able to survive on our income? We have to have a masters degree (which equals LOTS and LOTS of student loans to pay back) and we get paid significantly less than any other professions that require an advanced degree. We get to vote on a 1 year pay freeze Wednesday. We had a union meeting and the union layed out how much money we would loose through out our (people on step 4 which I am on) career if we were to take this pay freeze..........lets just say it is close to 100,000! That is a whole lot of money over the next 30 years!!! I am just sick about the cuts and it is so not fair that the first place they look to cut is at our KIDS EDUCATION!!!! It makes me really sad that people are going to be losing jobs....We DO make concessions! and I know that at least I will put the kids first in what ever decision I make...why can't the politicians????
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Because politicians SUCK each and every one of them. I am looking at a worthless degree because politicians cut our kids education first. You would NEVER EVER see them taking a paycut would you... nope they don't give a shit about anyone but themselves. And not to mention the missiles they just sent to libya would cover the military's pay checks for 2 years and yet we might not get paid this month because the gov't needs the money supposively. It's bullshit and I am thinking this will come to a head soon. I hate hate hate all politicians, they are all scum!
Post a Comment